Pages

Monday, January 29, 2007

The Green Women are connected to Ghana...

Hooray, our shipment of baskets have arrived from the African Basket Project... these beautiful baskets for some reason touch me so deeply. Perhaps it is the thought that they are handmade by women sitting with other women, nursing their babies, singing songs, tending their children as they make them... I carry my children's diapers and food in them, I carry my journal and wallet around, and each time I pack my basket for our outing, I smile and feel that connection...

This company is amazing. You can see their website at www.basketafrica.com. These baskets are bought on fair trade and the workers are paid fair and living wages. Also, the company puts money back into the communites... health care and education... things all people should have...

As I look at this stack of baskets sitting in my home, I imagine the women who made them and imagine the women who will use them, and hope that all women find connections to each other, whether through baskets or conversation... women supporting and listening to each other.


-Sierra

No comments: